View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 03:03 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Default Anyone have experience with a reholder downgrade?

I have a '33 goudey HOFer graded SGC 60. I was looking at it today and saw a light, yet substantially long crease on the back of it. SGC's grading scale says a 60 "may exhibit one VERY slight surface or 'spider' crease on one side of the card" but I think most would agree that this goes beyond that. The case also has a crack in it (the crack is nowhere near the crease so to make the argument that the impact that caused the crack also caused the crease would be ludicrous). I saw the crack when I bought the card and had just planned on having ir re-holdered at some point - but as you see, the plot thickens now.

From SGC's Website:
"Cards on regrade or reholder service: SGC has the right to reevaluate the card and assign a newly established grade if SGC believes the card was originally misgraded. If the grade change results in a loss of value of the card, SGC will compensate the customer based upon market value as solely determined by SGC."

So, assuming they now see the crease and downgrade the card, will I get the difference between a 4 and a 5 on SMR (which, of course, is PSA and not SGC)? Does the "compensation" come in cash or something lamer like 10 free gradings? Or are they just going to stick it to me and say because the case is cracked that their above compensation policy is void then downgrade it anyway? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.