View Single Post
Old 07-02-2006, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Default When Did Base-Ball Start??

Posted By: Mike (18colt)

Gil -- any chance that article was from the "Pottstown" Mercury? The Mercury still exists today as the daily newspaper for Pottstown and the surrounding area. Pottstown is roughly 45 minutes to an hour WNW of Philly. I'm not a newspaper historian - just wondering if there were two Philly-area papers called the Mercury at the same time (I'm from that area originally and never considered researching my local paper for baseball history, as Pottstown's finest have been Bobby Shantz, the 1952 AL MVP, and Howie Bedell, who ended Drysdale's scoreless inning streak and also by using a baseball picture from his youth, ended up on a line of coasters and plates from Pottery Barn a few years back).

Sean -- really, I appreciate the enthusiasm, as when I was your age, I probably irked dealers with my questions, too, but I didn't have the internet to make answer finding easy. You could spend a long time researching the origins and evolution of the game of baseball. I'd recommend for a fun summer project to research the game until school starts for you in a month and a half. Oh, and brush up on grammar (again). This isn't an IM service with your classmates. We all don't know what you're asking half the time (or your writing style bugs us to the point whereby we don't read your posts). Please, for the sanity of some board members, do some of your own research first before asking. If you don't research things on your own, you'll just be rehashing someone else's research, and you won't question things as a scientist (or anyone seeking knowledge) should. Two examples of good research and data collection are the EPDG thread and Piedmont primacy threads still ongoing. And, Sean, no, the Greeks and Romans and Egyptians or whoever was in Gil's research did not market baseball cards.

Mike (18colt)