View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Banned

Fast food authentication is what i call it and it's a horrible application to what on paper would seem to be a good idea. Have some experts truly study and use information at their disposal in a thoughtful and thorough way. They have created a monster and now they don't know how to handle it. It's grown way out of hand. Reminds me of the movie King Kong.

They took a business model of pushing them through and finding out ways to get more autographs in and push them through faster and faster, they forgot what it was suppose to be all about. 4 people at 50 thousand autographs per year per man?

If someone dumped 50,000 boxing autographs on my lap at once, which would be a stack to reach the ceiling several times over, and told me I have 1 year to authenticate them, I would laugh and tell them to take a hike. A couple thousand would be a lot to do a thorough job in one years time.

I have many, many exemplars of heavyweight boxing autographs. And if a John L. Sullivan came in, I would pull up a dozen examples, and if that wasn't good enough, seek out more examples, until i was confident in my judgment that i was looking at a real or not real autograph. But it would take a lot longer than 120 seconds, I can tell you that.

Sometimes it might take 15 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes 2 hours, sometimes all day, but I am not going to let some deadline push me into making a determination good or bad based on the fact that I have a huge stack of other autographs I have to get to today, and I had better hurry. Ain't gonna happen if I put my name to a certificate.

I look at a few autographs that people email me and I do it for no cost, because they are friends of mine and they have good enough sense not to send 150 dollars to get an opinion from who knows what company, who knows who looks at it and how much time they spent looking at it.

My friend Mark O. does the same and sometimes we cross check with each other, and after I have compared an autograph to 12 or 15 different exemplars and am certain its real, taking 35 or 45 minutes to do so, I learn that Mark compared it to 65 different exemplars and took 2 hours. Makes me feel like I did an inadequate job because he is so thorough, but here someone can email us and get an opinion from 2 people in boxing with over 40 years experience between the both of us, with several dozen exemplars and a couple/few hours of study if that's what it takes. We don't feel rushed because we don't let anybody rush us.

If someone emailed me 10 boxing signatures and needed answers in 30 minutes I would just reply to their email "no thank you, not interested"

the hobby and the way these autographs are authenticated are abominable and it should stop and be done right.

It's like packing parachutes, You can have it done fast, or done right, kind of important to get it done right I would think. But with autographs, collectors want fast, so we end up with exactly what we asked for, and not for the better.

Last edited by travrosty; 09-07-2012 at 11:52 PM.