View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016, 08:32 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

The year was 1989, I was a 13 year old heading to Fenway park with my 53 year old grandmother (now 90!) for her first Red Sox game against the Mighty Oakland A's. A late September battle on a Sunday afternoon, to which I had been looking forward to all summer long. I had spent countless hours thinking about this day, just my second Red Sox game, and my Grandmother, a die hard fan, having her first visit to Fenway. I can't tell whether it meant more to me then or now, but the feeling is still overwhelming.

In preparation, I had thumbed through countless baseball cards, in an attempt to find cards of players to ask for autographs during batting practice at the dugout. Of course my parents, and grandmother thought I was dreaming of actually getting someone to sign one of my cards, but I had heard, probably through Beckett magazine at the time, that players would willingly sign their cards!

Herein lies the problem, the Red Sox latest star, Nick Esasky did not have a Red Sox card yet. On a "tear" with 26 home runs, probably leading the team at that point, I needed to hunt for a card of his. Mind you the bash brothers, Canseco and McGwire only had HR numbers in the mid 20s as well. I could not show up empty handed in case the once in a lifetime chance occured that he decided to sign my card. I finally found one in my stash, a 1989 Score card of him on the Reds. Now I was ready for the game!

I entered Fenway with wide eyes, only a child could have. When I walked up that ramp and saw the green monster, and the outfield grass, after watching it on tv38 so many times, it took my breath away. The sheer size, color, and smells of the park sent me into sensory overload. I had my plastic freezer bag filled with cards, and a pen of course, and headed down to the mob scene which was looking for autographs around the red sox dugout.

After trying and failing with many of the players, some of who signed, and some who didn't sign, along came Nicky. I started yelling "Mr Esasky, Mr Esasky" thumbing madly through my cards looking for his 1989 Score card. I don't know if it was the lack of having a red sox card that helped my efforts that day, because it seemed like I was the only one yelling his name. Our eyes locked, and sure enough he came over and granted a 13 year old boy his wish.

When I got back to my seats I was wild! My parents and Grandmother couldn't believe I actually got a card signed, be it of the "superstar" that was Nick Esasky. The only thing that could have made it better, was if he hit a home run after touching my card for luck. He did in the 7th inning, and I probably pee'd a little.

Thanks for the thread, I enjoy reliving the moment any time I look at the card

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors