View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Default 1952 Topps bug

I remember seeing a 1952 Topps Ed Mathews in 1978 as a 9 year old with my grandmother at a card store. I was a huge Braves fan and didn't even know they played in Boston. Although a neat card, I was buying packs of 1978 Topps looking for Eddie Murray as I watched him play minor ball in Charlotte, NC at the old Crockett Park. Me and grandma sitting at the kitchen table opening packs and quickly fingering through them. I remember her saying, "Pete Rose, I've heard of this guy", but I didn't say a word (probably due to the wad of gum in my mouth), just nodded and kept right on looking for that elusive Eddie Murray card.

Fast forward through high school, college and my first marriage and raising kids, I was never in a position to go after that set, but never forgot about that Ed Mathews card and how I would one day like to have that card.

About 5 yrs ago, I started collecting my first prewar set, T205s. Although that kept my attention and funds for a while, my mind kept going back to that 52 Ed Mathews card. While I still haven't finished that set (about 50 cards short), I found myself in a position last year to either acquire a complete low number 1952 set or the 1952 Mantle & the Campos (black star). Kept going back and forth between a complete set or 2 cards, although 2 very desirable cards. Needless to say, I ended up going for the Mantle & Campos. Although they are great cards and I need them for my attempt at completing that set, my mind kept going back to ole Ed Mathews and was waiting for the day that I had him on my shelf. Well that day came last night and now I'm waiting impatiently for its arrival.

I'm now looking for the day that I can join you in saying that I'm down to my last two cards.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

r/
Frank

Last edited by Tcards-Please; 05-15-2012 at 03:27 PM.