View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Default Beware ebay seller "justizzle3". Our scans got stolen.

Posted By: Jon & Jennifer

The allegations against this seller (justsizzle3) are really piling up. If even half the claims made against him are true, it is maddening, to say the least, that eBay hasn't pulled the plug on him once and for all. (We already know for a fact that eBay has terminated several of his auctions recently -- something that wouldn't have occurred without good reason.)

I read yesterday's post about justsizzle3, where it was only casually mentioned that justsizzle3 has been selling Reggie Bush high school highlights DVD's. I don't know why, but I decided to take a look at the seller's feedback -- and sure enough, one buyer recently complained about the DVD being "burned" -- a counterfeit. I then did a Yahoo search, and came across a Nov. 2005 NY Times article. The article included a brief interview with the football coach at Reggie Bush's old high school (where the highlights videotape originated from.) The coach was quoted as saying that at that time, he was already aware of many counterfeit copies of the video floating around. I really don't know why I decided to pursue this -- but I soon found myself searching for the high school's website as well as the email address for the football coach quoted in the NY Times article.

I wrote to him last night, really not knowing whether the coach -- or the high school for that matter -- would give a rat's arse about the videos possibly being pirated. Well...it turns out that he DOES care...and writing to him was a worthwhile effort after all.

Sorry for the lengthy tome, guys, but this really is too much. Here's my email to the coach, and his reply received just today.

Subject: RE: Reggie Bush Highlight Video
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 20:02:59 -0800
From: "Damon Chase" <dchase@helixcharter.net> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
To: "Jon" <josepheen_2000@yahoo.com>

When we originally started selling this DVD, within hours this guy had had 100 copies for sale... all burned of course. We contacted eBay and the the company that sells the DVD for us and they put a stop to his sales. I will get in contact with Gametapes Inc. and their attorneys to go after him again.

I appreciate the attention you have given to this matter. I will keep you posted on what goes on.
Thanks again,
Damon

Damon Chase, CAA
Certified Athletic Administrator
Teacher/Athletic Director
644-1940 ext. 524

Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 18:30:30 -0800 (PST)
From: "Jon" <josepheen_2000@yahoo.com> View Contact Details Add Mobile Alert
Subject: Reggie Bush Highlight Video
To: dchase@helixcharter.net

Dear Mr. Chase --

We are writing with regard to the now-infamous Reggie Bush highlight video. (We are operating under the assumption that you are the most appropriate person to address this matter; if not, we would appreciate it if you were to forward our email along in the right direction.)

We were not aware of the video until just this evening, and learned of its existence through a posting on a message board that we visit frequently in the course of our small business selling vintage baseball cards. (The board is known as the Vintage Baseball Forum, and can be found at http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/).

It may seem odd that a posting in the VBF would address a football highlight video -- and in fact, the posting was not really about the video itself, but rather the eBay seller who has been selling these videos on eBay at auction -- in rather high volume. This eBay seller uses the eBay ID "justsizzle3". This seller has come under fire numerous times within the Vintage Baseball Forum in recent months -- for a variety of outrageous and criminal behavior -- such as copying various internet photos of vintage baseball cards on other dealers' websites, and using the stolen scans in an attempt to "sell" the cards as his own when in fact he does not possess the actual cards. He even went so far as to steal photos from the T206 Museum website, copying the photos and the description of the cards verbatim. eBay has been notified by sellers and dealers numerous times; while his auctions have occasionally been terminated, he inexplicably remains as a seller.

The post this evening regarding this seller, and his sale of the Reggie Bush highlight videos, was somewhat difficult to follow. The bottom line appears to be that the seller "justsizzle3" has been selling these videos -- as we said, in rather high volume. We located a recent NY Times article regarding the video, in which you were quoted as saying that at that time, it was unclear who owned the rights to the video. We obviously have no idea whether the ownership issue has been cleared up, but wanted to at least make sure that you and other members of your faculty were aware of the situation.

Given this seller's reputation for criminal and deceptive selling habits, we couldn't help but assume that he was not authorized to sell these videos. In fact, one recent purchaser of the video complained, via negative feedback, that the video was a "burned" copy. The seller deftly replied "of course it is" -- and is safe in saying as much since ALL of the copies in existence are no doubt "burned copies."

We apologize for the long-winded and possibly unnecessary email. While we don't have any personal bones to pick with this seller, we are sickened by his continuous (and blatant) attempts to scam and defraud. This particular seller has earned a reputation for going to great lengths to deceive and defraud -- eBay is slow to remove listings and auctions, and even slower to banish sellers altogether. Law enforcement and copyright infringement lawyers move far more swiftly and effectively. In the event you should need or want to pursue this matter, and if the seller does not respond, we would suggest that you contact a member of the latter group, rather than eBay, for assistance.

Best regards,
Jon & Jennifer
Big Apple Cards