View Single Post
Old 03-21-2016, 01:05 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashvol View Post
One of the clues is the square visor stitching, which says this is a New Era 900 or 911 model, a step down from the on-field model 5950 (Don't be confused by "Pro Model" in the label). 5950s have a "round" visor; the visor stitching is round as well.

Years ago "5950" designated New Era's best cap and was made from 100% wool. If teams wanted knit fabric on the same style cap, New Era designated that as style "5300".

Today, 5950 is a crown style (Brooklyn mushroom crown, round pro visor), but several materials may be used: knit or polyester, for example. Recently "Diamond Era" fabric that has a pattern to it has been introduced

When New Era decorates caps, the front panels are sewn together then embroidered "flat"; then the cap is built. That's why the enpmbroidery does not come through the crown reinforcement on the inside.

In this instance, if stitching shows through the crown it is unlikely that New Era decorated it and an appliqué or embroidered design was sewn on it by a local sporting goods dealer.

Any additional images might be helpful in narrowing this cap down to a specific year. I do not recall the stamping inside the sweatband being use, although it certainly could have been a requirement for exporting to another country, i. e. Canada

Skip
Wow! Amazing information Skip. Thank you!

I took another pic, this time of the inside of the cap. The logo stitching does show through to the underside. There are no other stampings etc (other than the "MFG USA" stamp). Of the collection, this is indeed the only cap with square visor stitching. The items came from a long time Blue Jays executive and as such, I really feel that there must be a Jays connection to this cap. I don't think I will have access to the original owner unfort as he is firmly in retirement and has ignored my friend's (the owner of the caps before me) request for more info.

On the plus side, it is a great cap and it fits my melon! At 7 5/8 it is the only cap from the group that comes close.

Last edited by baseball tourist; 04-11-2016 at 03:24 PM.