View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 07:27 PM
John

Just finished this one:

81) The Red Grange Story by Red Grange as told to Ira Morton

There were a few really interesting tidbits like Grange mentioning Potsy Clark as a favorite player as a youth, the details of his injury (I would have never guessed he was going up for a pass with Trafton covering - I always kind of assumed it was a dirty play or late hit), Grange's views on Pyle (very positive and complimentary), and what was I think the only drop of drama in the book - his account of walking out of a banquet when Zuppke (whom he loved) made negative comments about his turning pro (but even this was glossed over when he said we both forgot about it the next day). It felt like he gave more detail on his college days than his pro days and among his pro experiences I think there was more emphasis on the Yankees than the Bears (Eddie Tyron probably got his name mentioned more than any other pro teammate.) Despite some positives and the overall optimistic tone of the book, in my opinion, even though it was a relatively short fast read, I didn't think there was enough in there... Not enough information that can't be easily gleaned from other sources, not enough of his opinions, not enough depth to the majority of events covered, etc. Probably not a great choice for me as I don't particularly like autobiographies, but it was Red Grange and super cheap via a third party seller on Amazon, so I gave it a try. Looks good on my shelf and the cover picture of him holding a 77 jersey superimposed over what looks like a classic photo of him running the ball in the background is pretty cool.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 04-14-2016 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Safari auto correct drives me crazy