View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 02:15 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
"Most" every set is able to be completed.......so as you ask, do you want to spend your money on a tough to finish set or elsewhere? This is really the question.

IF you want to complete the set but are asking this question, my guess is that this set is not high on your priority list.

I have only one set to finish on my priority list, the 52 Topps set. I am 92% complete with my set, but to finish the set in my desired condition, I will need $12-15K+ to cover the final 33 cards. With my CC rewards, ebay bucks and ebay GC at b-day/holidays, I am looking at 4 years to finish...I do not have a plethora of extra funds to work with. I am content to take my time and finish the set on this timetable.

However, I could easily downgrade some of the key cards in my other sets and probably finish this set in months. But, I choose to keep these other cards in the condition that I have and take another 4 years to finish. To afford a low grade Mantle for the set, I sold off some of the "non-set" portions of my collection to cover a majority of the cost on that card. I had NO problems parting with that area of my collection to acquire this card. However, that card was the only card I would have sold this portion of my collection for.

In your case, you can take your time with the set and finish it at a pace that is consistent with your budget. Or, you can part with another (hopefully a non-set) part of your collection and finish this set much sooner.

I've missed the boat on the '52T Mantle, so, I'm just going after the other 406 cards...maybe only the 405 others (Mathews RC) - but right now, I'm four cards shy of the first 310 cards in the set...with a good stop sign at #311.

Of course I cannot claim it is a complete set, but I will still get great satisfaction out of the 310-card portion of it.

I only got to 100 in the Monster before reality crept in...would never have gotten close...even if I didn't count the BIG FOUR...but, only 100 wasn't enough to give me the same satisfaction I'll get with these 310.

I'll quote Mr. Callahan now. "A man's got to know his limitations."

-

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente