View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 03:15 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Not a bad idea to try to make things more manageable, but I wouldn't get rid of anything you like too much just to accomplish that. An easy solution would be two give your wife the contact info for 2-3 of your hobby friends so that she has a person who your trust to call for advice should something happen to you.
I think there are a number of pretty simple things that can be done including this above:

1) If you have people you really trust in the hobby, make sure your family knows who they are. If you can arrange in advance with them to help should something happen, it would be even more helpful (it would be fair to offer them something, say a percentage in return for helping, but that's a personal decision)

2) Have an inventory list of the items in your collection including where they are located and the value of each item. A simple Excel can be a big help. Labeling the cards with stickers and a basic numbering system that is referenced in the Excel is a big help.

3) The name and contact info of sellers like PWCC (assuming it's vintage cards) and/or auction houses that you would want the items sent.

4) Sell the items you won't miss. I don't think it's a good idea to sell things that you enjoy owning and will miss, but reconsidering what it is you really find joy in and what has been more a matter of the chase and you won't miss can clear up some funds and space and ultimately it could make it a little easier for family when the day comes. Selling items that you will miss in my mind is a mistake. A lifetime of work and effort in something you enjoy shouldn't have to be given up in the golden days of your life unless you need to (in my humble opinion).

Hope this helps.