View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 11:13 PM
Marcos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick55 View Post
One of the approaches I take to deal with the fact that funds are not unlimited is that I buy a few cards that I've always wanted, enjoy them for a few months or a year or two, then sell them and take the proceeds and start all over again with a different group of cards. Although I've so far held onto all of the sets I've built, there's no reason this approach would not also work for sets. I save all my scans of the cards I once owned, and it's fun to go back and view them every once in a while. No regrets, fortunately.

I do have around 6-10 cards that I consider untouchables and never intend to sell, but who knows.

One thing I do tell myself quite often is to not overthink all of this, or dwell on any aspect of it too much. It's just cardboard and it's just a hobby. It's not meant to be difficult.
This is a very interesting (and relevant) thread for me. I’m in the process of deciding whether to complete my half finished 1963 Topps baseball set. These posts are all insightful - even the one that describes the run of graded Bob Eucker cards.

I really like the ideas in your post - especially the one about taking quality scans of your cards before selling them - so you can view them later. And, I note that you state “no regrets” with this approach so far.

Like you, I would also have a small number of cards that I’d consider “untouchables”. These are the ones that never fail to make me smile - and I’d want to hold onto them. It’s psychological no doubt - but they wisk me back for a moment to the carefree days of my youth. Priceless in a way.