View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 04:05 AM
Administrator

Default O/T Barry Bonds announces retirement

Posted By: Anonymous

Jason,

I posted pictures of Bonds and Ruth which was completely "tongue and cheek" in an effort to show the weight gain that Ruth also endured in his playing days when steroids did not exist. One picture of Bonds that I posted was of Bonds in his rookie season as referred to in your post with this phrase, "It is pointless to pull baseball cards of a 20 year old rookie and try to compare them to him now at 41. (below)"

Here's the full text:

"It's obvious to me that you guys that are grasping at straws never played the game at a higher level. It is pointless to pull baseball cards of a 20 year old rookie and try to compare them to him now at 41. Anybody that ages know by natural causes you gain weight naturally........metabolism slows etc. It has never been proven that Bonds took steroids. ........just admit the truth, he has become a better hitter with age. He has in his later career perhaps become the best PURE hitter of all time. It takes alot more than steroids to hit a 90MPH big league pitch over a 350-400 foot fence. The guy is naturally strong just face it. When I was 21 I worked hard eating 5 full meals per day trying to pack on wieght 6-2 170s). Now I am 32 and weigh 230 lbs and I never took steroids. By the way IU eat alot less, do not work out much as far as weight training and I am not that overweight. Face it.....people gain wieght naturally. I dont think Bonds takes roids. You people that think his records come off of taking steroids need to SERIOUSLY WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!"

Then I posted this:

"Jason,

I suppose you're referring to my baseball card...? I played four years of college baseball. I played against and with many current and former major league players. Furthermore, my point of the card is to look at how different Ruth looked 20 years later and he never used steroids. So I was actually supporting your argument. Sheesh."

Then you posted this:

"Andrew-

I played organized baseball including a minor league stint as well. The fact is that a person will gain weight naturally. Explain to me why I had to eat 5-6 full meals per day and lift for about 3-4 hours per day when I was a college athlete to try to put on weight. Now at age 32, I eat alot less, I don't lift 10% as much, I play a sport recreationally 2-3 times per week still (including baseball in a regional wood bat league with mostly college players still), and I now weigh about 225-230 without being much overweight at all. Explain that to me. You cannot assume that Bonds took Steroids just because he weighs 40-50 more pounds. People's metabolisms really can slow down tremendously as in my case. When I was in college I threw about 85-88 MPH consistantly (LHP), and hit with little power but some power. I was in ALOT better shape. Now I can throw harder and I can hit the ball at times 400-450 feet with a wooden bat (stronger). Now I can easily admit when I do start and pitch a complete game it takes me about a week to get back to normal. This is due to the fact my arm is going threw more stress and I am not in shape. My point being.......you can anturally put on weight and get stronger with age. I never took so much as creatine which was popular when I was in college.

regards,
Jason"

Am I the only one who is interpreting your posts as argumentative? My original post was to show that anybody can gain weight and change over time like Ruth did which is exactly what YOU are saying, too. Do I need to start taking my medication again?

Can someone please help me out here?