View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 06:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
It's funny you say this. I was wondering who on this board would pay one of the major autograph slip sellers to authenticate anything. I could see paying one of the respected authenticators on this board for their opinion, and I would do so if I had to re-sell something that was very obscure, but pay for a 'slab and slip'?

Do any of you do that?

a few years ago, when i thought they operated out of integrity, i had two items certed by jsa, big mistake. wasted my money and took a bath on the items because the fee ate most if not all of my profits, and I already knew they were good, so why bother. because like others, i thought the cert by itself was worth something, but all along it was the autograph. who knew?

well i will never make that mistake again. i submitted a vintage muhammad ali autograph on a slip of paper that was obviously good, and for only 100 dollars later, i had spence tell me it was good, wow, what a relief!

the other one, a vintage max schmeling signed postcard, costs less, but he had no idea if it was good or not until i talked him into it, then it's good, so it was really a roste coa, but spence took credit for it and took the fee and now it has a jsa coa, like he knew all along, NOT!

the tpa would provide a valuable service if they practiced full disclosure, took more time authenticating autographs. only authenticating within their field, and took responsibility for their mistakes, which they dont, and explain their letters of regret with something else but doublespeak generalities like (improper shading, undulating baseline WHAT?)

They should tell you exactly who looked at your autograph, who made the determination, provide exemplars if asked, (which they don't), list all their consultants, and turn down autographs if they have no experitise in that area.

They do none of these things, and until a company does, i can't in good conscience recomment tpa's because there is too much hidden, secret processes that doesn't do the customer any good and leads to conflict of interest.

Last edited by travrosty; 02-02-2013 at 07:30 AM.