View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 07:52 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Default Best & Worst Experience Meeting An Athlete

I'm sure this has probably been done on here but I couldn't find anything in the search. Would love to hear stories about best/worst interactions with athletes/celebrities. I'll start...

Best:

Johnny Bench (Nashville show in ~96)- Very generous with me. Took picture with me at the booth he was signing at. Later that day, after he was done signing, I saw him wandering around looking at some cards. It looked like he was just killing some time. I went up and talked to him for about 5 minutes. Nicest guy in the world and I remember being impressed with myself that I didn't get that nervous speaking with a baseball legend (was only 11 at the time). He talked so casually about baseball that it was like talking to one of my teammates dads and not a celebrity. Really great experience.

Eddie Taubensee- Signed for hours every game I went to when I was growing up. Not a superstar but still was always excited to get his autograph and he was great with the fans. Thomas Howard was also really good in regards to signing at games.

Okay:

Enos Slaughter- Met him in Cooperstown when I was 9 or 10. Was real nice the first day I met him on that trip. Was signing for like $10 at one of the shops up there. Saw him the following day at a restaurant and got his auto again. Was real grouchy but signed the ball I had. Could have been the fact that I asked him while he was at lunch. He was by himself though, not eating, and the place was dead. Usually I wouldn't have asked but it was so low key I thought I would go ahead and do it. All in all not that bad.

The Worst:

Walter Payton- This one isn't even close. Huge jerk. Met him at the same show I met Johnny Bench at. Got an 8x10 signed by him in a Bears black jersey. The guy signed with a black sharpie on the black jersey. Could have signed anywhere but specifically did it to be a jerk. Was super arrogant and wouldn't even look at people. Kind of surprised because I've heard good things about him but my experience with him was just terrible.