View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Some points on a lazy Thursday afternoon:

--Whether or not modern GU/Auto cards are appealing depends in part on whether you like and follow the current game and want to collect something from it. If so, you obviously cannot collect vintage cards of modern players. For me, I try to pick up autographed modern cards of players I enjoy watching, like Jeter or Ichiro, and if I see a GU card that I find appealing I might pick it up too if it is cheap. When I had a chance to go behind the scenes at Dodgers Stadium some years ago I picked up a bunch of modern GU cards for my nephew and I to get autographed by some of the players we liked.

--Orioles1954, you are right and wrong. Some posters are not especially tactful in their responses and some posts do 'diss' modern cards for reasons that have little relationship to the question the original poster raised. However, you may also consider that there is a difference between criticizing a collector for collecting and criticizing the item being collected. Many people here loathe the practice of cutting up jerseys and bats to make cards with little chips of jerseys and bats on them. Their expressions of their disgust for the practice is not personal; don't take it that way. Also, the thread was opinions on the long-term value of GU cards, and there I think the posters discounting the potential future appreciation of those cards based on performance over the last decade or so have good points.

As is often remarked on this site, collect what you want. Just don't take others' negative opinions of what you collect to heart. Life it too short to worry about what other people think. Besides, we all spend countless hours playing with baseball cards. We're all dipsh**s.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-23-2010 at 03:54 PM.