View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Default T210 Jackson or T206 Wagner

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Jim,

Are you honestly asking me if rarity is the only issue in determining desirability? Probably not, but if that's what you're asking, the answer is "no, of course not." There are hundreds of cards that are rarer than the Jackson. In fact there are dozens of issues where every single card is rarer. Of course, there are literally thousands of cards rarer than the Wagner.

Give me an example of the rare cards you're talking about and I can tell you if I'd rather have a T206 Wagner. Rarity is definitely a factor. Player is a factor. Card image is a factor. Importance of the card is a factor. Uniqueness is a factor. There are other factors, but all of them, including those I just listed, come down to personal preference and opinion.

For example, the T206 Wagner is the most important card of one of the most important card issues, but is an average image (I know this is subjective and many will argue it's a great image, but to me, it's not particularly special), and is incredibly common. The greatness of Wagner himself is another thing the card has going for it, but none of that makes up for the fact that there are 60-80, maybe more, examples of the card.

The Jackson has everything going for it except the importance of the card issue (T210), but the uniqueness of the card and the fact that it features Jackson in the minors makes up for that to me.

If you're baffled by the fact that I would rather have a T210 Jackson than a T206 Wagner, then this must really confuse you: I'd rather have a 1909 Cabanas of Pete Hill than a T206 Wagner in my collection. (A 1909 What? of Who?)

-Ryan