View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 12:00 PM
pete ullman

todd...i definitely think there is more of a "transient" element to "collecting" these days. I think there are "collectors" out there who buy and sell constantly...never really keeping any cards in their "collections" very long.

You may even substitute the word "investor" for "collector" in many cases these days. And yes...I think there are more people buying to flip to try to make $$$$ than ever before...even though the conditions seem worse than ever for this type of buying...atleast to me they do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I agree with all that's been said but I still ponder the question of cards moving from AH to AH and wonder if it's any sign of our hobby's stability. I'm curious if others have noticed an uptick in flipping across the board, and if so, what they see as explanations.

In terms of the big-ticket items, I track m101 Ruth auctions, and observe that many of them are flipped within a year or two. Again, I know all the reasons stated in this thread generally make sense, but to me such an iconic card should stand as the cornerstone of someone's collection, maybe even the fulfillment of a lifelong dream. Instead, it's as if the winner takes a few selfies with his new prize and then gets rid of it. Now if it's just a question of making profit then I wonder how much of a collector these folks are, for the old argument that selling it provides extra $$$ to buy more cards seems weak when you just sold a freaking Ruth rookie--what cards are out there that you could not have just bought in the first place? Same with moving on to to other areas of interest. Really? Ruth rookie doesn't do it for you? The only one that makes sense to me is the need money argument, as it is the only one to which I can relate. Still are there many impulse-buying Ruth owners? "Geez, I guess I didn't realize I can't afford a six-figure card, don't know what I was thinking, better move it right away 'cause now I'm cash-strapped." Or is our hobby filling up with people who are just investors and who don't care what type of commodity they hold short-term as long it flips for profit?

Now, getting off my high horse, I would add that I see more and more of this on lower-level cards as well. I don't know if it's because I now pay closer attention or if it's always been true, but I see several $50-$250 cards that seem to make the rounds at AHs too. These usually generate a break even or ever so slight gain upon re-sale, so it's not profit motivated. Are we as a group so lacking in focus that we shift what we collect every 6-18 months?