View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 11:48 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Will offer the player/card that I believe has the best chance to go 100x present value. It's not Mike Trout, Aaron Judge, Kris Bryant or anyone else we've already imagined as a future Hall of Famer. To an extent, the bubbles are already inflated around those players.

In fact, it's not even a current player. And for that matter, his sport isn't even baseball. Good chance you can't stand him and think he sucks, but I won't go there at the moment.

I'm talking of course about Colin Rand Kaepernick.

"WTF?!?!?!" you ask! But here's why I think his odds are higher than anybody else.

Let's say history remembers him as an anti-American, troublemaking, borderline NFL talent. And maybe there's a 90% chance we end up there. Then clearly his cards are nothing special...kindling, birdcage liner, etc.

But now let's say his movement has the opposite effect on America and his legacy as an athlete-activist is mentioned in the same breath as Jackie Robinson and Muhammad Ali. America would have to change a lot for this to happen. A whole lot. And maybe a team would even need to sign Kaep and then make a surprise Super Bowl run. But I'd say the chances of any of this are higher than any card we're hoarding today blowing up 100x.

Add to it, perhaps, the fact that many collectors have burned or discarded their Kaep cards--or at least said eff it to third party grading and encapsulation, meaning scarcity at high grades could kick in too. (And many of his RCs were already scarce to begin with.)

I'm not positing this to elicit any love/hate responses about the man himself. Rather, I'm offering a scenario I consider as plausible for how any collectible we already know about could somehow increase 100x.

One could argue that a "common player" like Grant Dayton could win the next 14 Cy Young Awards and then be elected POTUS, in which we'd see 100x as well. True, but I think Kaep has the much more plausible path to cardboard royalty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/

Last edited by jason.1969; 11-22-2017 at 11:49 AM.