View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 10:48 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The lot is my collection. The decision to try and sell it was not easily arrived at and I am conflicted about it. I am trying to raise money for my daughter to attend medical school.

When I did this, I realized that buying a collection is not for everyone and that collectors will see pieces they would love to own...and that there would be some grousing about the collection for sale structure. I get that. I have standing offers of purchase on a good percentage of the collection and I am sure that there are other pieces that would sell well at auction as individual items. However, I am not interested in having the collection cherry-picked. If I wanted to have that happen I could dribble the cards a few a week into the eBay maelstrom over the next two years and wring out every retail dime, but I simply do not have the time to do it.

I am of the view that offering the collection as a collection gives a potential buyer a unique opportunity to pick up a 'turn key' collection that can be expanded and improved upon over time. There is a hell of a collection-filling opportunity there for anyone who wants to fill out their collection without taking the 20+ years I spent amassing it, and then piecemeal sell the rest.

I am pretty proud of the comprehensive type card collection. There is stuff there from all over the world and from many issues that simply do not come up for sale. I am a bit of an obsessive and I spent a hell of a lot of time doing very tedious research and communications with the help of translation programs with vendors all over the world to get some of the most obscure foreign cards. Some of them have logged over 20,000 air miles with mail returns and errors that took cards from South America to New York to South America to LA.

The last thing I want to make sure to mention is that I have a reasonable reserve on the lot. No one will be 'stealing' the collection. That said, there is tremendous value there for anyone who wants to take the time to retail the lot. Check out the spreadsheet linked to the offering. That was one of the features that Troy and I agreed would be a unique feature of this auction: you get a comprehensive look at precisely what is in the auction. If you have questions about a specific card, please post them here and I will post a scan if I have one. I have nearly all of it scanned. If someone here buys the lot, I will even send you the scans via drop box so you can immediately use them as you see fit. That's not part of the auction verbiage but I am happy to do it for my colleagues on N54.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-29-2018 at 10:52 AM.