View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Zach

Default What is your biggest ebay victory? Or other auctions

What was your most shocking win or BIN you ever had on ebay or any other auction, or even a buy or trade with someone that you could not believe you actually got the card for that price or even obtained the card at all? Mine was obtaining my 1963 Topps Pete Rose.
I was looking to buy a 63 rose but only had about $200 to spend, me being a beater collector of high end cards, was looking for a poor conditioned Rose, because I saw some ugly roses selling for $175-$200, that were bent up, had paper loss on the front, or had stains or holes in the card. I felt I was only good enough for a beater, I was just praying for no paperloss on the front on the faces of the four players. I came accross an auction in the midst of the nasty beaters I was looking at of a terrible picture of a Rose card. The card was not mangled but it was as if the photo was taken under a yellow lense, which looked suspicious. I kept thinking real or fake, or what the hell is this? The bidding was rather low at the moment so I decided to take a gander at the seller's feedback history since it was not 100%. I then noticed he had a negative that was less than 90 days old that was for selling a 63 Rose. I clicked on the transaction and I saw the pic, it was an authentic looking Rose that looked nice; however, the buyer was pissed off because he said the card was all bent up and he won it for $240 in auction, he felt he was deceived. I was now wondering if this was the same Rose, which looked great from what I saw. I decided to bid I won the auction for only $150!
I anxiously waited to recieve it hoping I did not get ripped off. I opened the package and it was the same exact Rose as the other guy complained about!
Before I bid I compared the yellowish pic with the pic of the complained about one, the centering was the same so was the chipping and dented corners on top. Well when I laid eyes on the beauty, it was the exact identical as the one the previous winner complained about, even though he got a $300 BV for $240. Now I had what I believe to be a VG-EX Rose for $150 when it books for $300. There was only one tiny crease on the rear of the card and some slight nail chipping on the front, well worth the $150! Even if I am wrong and this is a VG card, I still scored big.

What are some of your shocking scores?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1318.jpg (71.4 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1319.jpg (72.0 KB, 375 views)

Last edited by zljones; 11-05-2011 at 03:55 AM.