View Single Post
Old 10-20-2016, 02:59 PM

I bought this ball. Normally I wouldn't buy something like this, but the guy guaranteed authenticity or my money back. So my thinking was along the lines of "why not?". If it is real, I have an Authentic Babe Ruth/Lou Gehrig autograph baseball for $650 and the grading fee. If not, I won't be out much from the grading fee. The way I understand it, if PSA deems it fake, I get the ball back with a statement saying it is fake and also a partial refund/credit on the grading fee. I will then return the ball with the paperwork to the seller for a full refund.
I tried enhancing the autographs in the pics, but it is still hard to discern. I have seen that style "B" in some early Ruth Autos. Same with the exaggerated "L" in Lou. Someone stated the "U" is funky and I definitely agree. The "U" doesn't lean and seems to flow wrong between the "R" and "T". I am no expert either, but I tried to do comparisons against authentic autographs. Once I do have it in hand, I will get better pics in better light.
The ball itself seems authentic. I believe it is a Wilson Red/Black Stitch ball from the 1920s.
The story behind this ball is that it is from a storage locker of Don Lee. Lee was a former player and scout for several MLB teams including the San Diego Padres and New York Yankees. Granted a story is just that, a story, but this seller has several older MLB items from Lee. I knew it is a long shot, but IMO what did I have to lose?