View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 11:21 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazi4442 View Post
Been on this forum for over a year now and I guess I should have asked earlier but where did the term “flip” come from? Why not just holder, case, etc.?

I'm not positive, but I believe it's a leftover from the very early days of coin authentication. The earliest certificates didn't even have a picture, and were replaced with ones that did because there was too much switching of lesser items. The certificate with photo got replaced with a holder for a similar reason.

There's a sort of coin holder that folds over sort of like a T201, but equally. With each side being a roughly 2x2 pouch. Some dealers who had certified coins would put the coin in ones side, and the folded up certificate in the other side. On non- certified coins it was usually a label with the coin information. Since you could flip it open to see the back, or read the information and usually price, it was the flip.

Those holders were PVC, and were already almost entirely out of favor by the 1970's, there are probably still some non- pvc ones made, but they're not common anymore as smaller coins can slide around and get a little wear.

Or I could be totally wrong.