View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Default 1909 Imperial (?) Norfolk Team Cabinet

Posted By: Zach Rice

Today arrived one of the cornerstones of my collection, an amazing cabinet photograph of the 1909 Norfolk Baseball team of the Virginia League. Though one year behind the issuing of the T210 set (1910) this cabinet pictures 6 players who were featured a year later in the T210 set.

The back of the framed item is also neat and has four autographs of players in the picture as well as 2 taped down pages of the 1910 Spalding guide. Interestingly enough, the pages are on the Virginia League and one even has a team photo of the 09' Norfolk team, this is the same image as my cabinet.

It should also be noted that in the bottom right corner is the photographer's name (Freeman of Norfolk, Virginia) embossed on the mount.

The title of this thread was one of my main questions, what would a cabinet like this be categorized as? It is approx. 20 inches long and 16 inches tall. I have read that to be a "mammoth plate", the image must be 19th century, so would this be just a large imperial cabinet?

The cabinet is one its way to be professionally framed and matted and will soon be on the wall. I'll try to put up images of the T210s later this evening.

Thanks in advance for any help.