View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 03:30 PM
Doug Goodman

I'm not a fan of the new IBB rule.

A thought struck me, if the intention of this rule is to save time, and make the game faster, why not make a change that would (I assume) save considerably more time.

According to Retrosheet, there were 932 IBB last season, but there were 5,610 HR. If MLB really wants to cut down the length of games maybe they should just have the batter, and any runners, run straight into the dugout the moment the umpire signals a HR.

I'm not sure if I'm trying to be facetious or sarcastic, probably a bit of both.

As a full time baseball fan who didn't watch the superbowl, couldn't care less about sports that treat college athletes as slaves, and thinks that all sports with clocks are inherently dumb, I am curious about this whole "speeding up the game" thing.

Why do I read about how baseball games at 3 hours in length need to be sped up, but football games, which are played to a clock that is either 48 or 60 minutes long (I really don't know) take three hours out of the TV schedule and nobody seems to complain about the other two (or more) hours?

Not that I care, but I am curious.

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 02-26-2017 at 03:30 PM.