View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Ryan Christoff

Okay, well let me know if you change your mind. Just so you know, I didn't see your posts asking for help as I was rarely checking the board at that time. I'm not sure why you didn't just call me and ask me since we've known each other for years, but it's fine. Sorry if I was too busy trying to raise 4 kids in two different states while in the middle of a brutal custody battle to send you some scans. I'm not trying to critique your work after the fact any differently than I would have before it was published. Someone should have, Phil. That's all I'm saying. It would have saved a lot of headaches. Also, I didn't just randomly come on some public forum without talking to you first. I did talk to you. And I was under the impression that there would be something included with the books you sent that corrects, or at least points out some of the more egregious errors. When everyone started posting about how great the book is and no one mentioned it, I correctly assumed you didn't include anything.

In spite of your hurt feelings about what you perceive as bashing your book, I actually think it's still great and worth buying, even in its current error-filled state, just for the memorabilia side. It's quite awesome to see all those images gathered together in one place. In fact, I think the card section is the only part I have any real problems with. You're probably right that I should just put something together myself so I would know it was accurate. But your guide is still good and I would still recommend it to people as long as they know about the errors. The memorabilia side would have made an awesome book all by itself. Your work was not wasted, Phil. But I'm not shocked there are mistakes due to what seemed like a rush to publish.

Again, your book is worthwhile and definitely something anyone interested in this material should buy, as long as they are made aware of the inaccuracies. Plus, what other book features images of so many cards of albino Negro Leaguer George Brown?

-Ryan