View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If you are interested in superstar baseball autographs and don't want to pay for certifications, I echo the recommendation for Jim Stinson. My dealings with Jim have been tip top. I've heard good things about Richard too but haven't dealt with him so I cannot opine from experience. I am sure you are fine as well if you want to acquire a signed item directly from a promoter like Tristar that runs autograph shows and the National autograph pavilion. I believe they offer signed merch TTM, and I think they've had all of the fellows you referenced as guests, so odds are they have in stock photos. I think Rich Altman of Hollywood Collectibles [FL] has a lot of signed inventory from signings he did; sure looks that way at the National every year. If you choose to buy anonymously on eBay, you are rolling the dice and dealing with whoever happens to be on the other end of the computer.

One thing you might consider are manufacturer certified insert cards if the goal is the autograph rather than a display photo. I've picked up quite a few HOFers from the 1950s-1960s-1970s on certified insert cards for a fraction of the cost of live signings. A guy like Gibson signs a lot of stuff and has for years, so you can readily pick up an insert card from an older set.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...