View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Default All-Star Team of the Decade: 1950's

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

1st....Willie Mays playing at the old Polo Grounds with a CF distance marker of 483 feet was well suited for a CF position.
But, in any other stadium you want your best arm in RF.....I don't think I have to explain why. Therefore, on my team, I
want him in RF.....and that allows me to have Duke Snider in CF. Any team of the '50s without Duke Snider in the line-up
is ridiculous.

2nd.....As a Yankee fan, I must admit I really liked Gil Hodges; and, every year that those Veterans Committee dudes do not
elect him to the BB HOF bothers me a lot. However, I'll never forget Johnny Mize during his tenure as a Yankkee (1949 to 1953).
Sure, if you guys look at his numbers at the end of his tremendous career, they don't look impressive.
But, as I said in a prior post here....producing 1.5 runs per game....day in and day out....over a career of 14 years is an amazing
testament to a ballplayer's ability to come thru in the "clutch".

And, the 1952 World Series stands out in my mind to Mize's clutch ability. At age 39, he pinch-hit two HR's to beat the Dodgers
in two games, another HR to win a 3rd game and in a 4th game he hit a ball that Carl Furillo jumped into the RF stands to steal
a 4th HR from Mize. Needless to say, Johnny Mize was awarded the 1952 WS MVP for his tremendous performance.

Anyways, why am I being criticized over the choice of Johnny Mize, since I chose him for my AL team ?
Hodges is a NL player, and I had to go with Stan Musial at 1st base. I don't think any of you will question this choice.

TED Z