View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 03:15 PM
Steve Birmingham

Unlike many, I've come to enjoy football more over the years.

I started watching around 1973-4 just in time for the Dolphins unbeaten season.
The game has changed, and it's changed several times over the years. Not always for the better, but sometimes.
Like it or not, the entire sport is passing happy. But happily that's led to some interesting things.
The quarterbacks have become a bit more important, and while the really good ones always were, the last several years have shown us an era with a nice selection of truly excellent quarterbacks.
1975 only one team had more than 3000 passing yards.
2016 only two teams didn't have more than 3000 passing yards.

1975 the average comp % was 52.5% and the best was 63%
2016 the average was 63% and the best 70.4

Think about that a minute the average guy your favorite team would replace as soon as they found someone better is by many stats Fran Tarkenton.

Even guys who have a hard time holding a job now are actually not bad at all. That's one of the recent developments that I don't like, the degree of pointless player movement. (And to some extent the lack of patience with coaches)

I watch a lot of the behind the scenes sort of shows, especially if it's the Patriots. The amount of stuff the players have to memorize, and the short time they have to do it is pretty amazing. I think the days of the athletic but not so smart player are long gone. (Note, I don't count making really stupid personal choices as smart of dumb as far as the on-field stuff goes. )

I really am starting to like Romo as a commentator. The times during the Pats Steelers game where he was pointing out things like " they line up this way, and the coverage of that one guy is by a linebacker, so this is the coverage type" I think is really interesting.
And that's a guy who couldn't keep his job as a starting QB. - mostly too injured, too expensive, but over 5-6 plays he wasn't wrong once.

And - even as a Pats fan, to me that was a catch and touchdown. ( and why do I abbreviate the name? I'm not usually a fan of that stuff, but I find myself doing it???? )

So much I could say about some of the other opinions, but they're opinions. Lets just say that we're all free to watch or not watch, just as the players are free to stand or kneel. And if we truly hate the US, unlike in the former East Germany, we're free to go to whatever country will have us. Just check if they're generally ok with saying the government sucks, some places get really hacked off about that.