Thread: May Pickups
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 02:05 PM

Default Photo Pick-ups

I'm not big photo guy but occasionally I come across ones that hit the gotta have it level...Remarkably I picked up the two above the same weekend couple weeks ago...I found the Potato Bug II photo at the Grass Valley Old West antiques show...then I found the Indian Motorcycle Glendale Run photo in a mall in Roseville CA...

I'm usually not interested in photos that aren't "from the period"...i..e. produced/processed the same era it was taken...but I liked the motorcycle pano so much I got it anyway. The inscription below the riders says "Indian Motorcycle Run, Glendale CA June 14th 1931..."When I first saw it I was taken back...but it didn't look period and I dismissed it and walked away...walking thru the store it kept gnawing at me and I went back for another look...I'm always on the lookout for exceptional vintage motorcycle photos and I had to admit it would have to be one of the greatest motorcycle photos I'd ever seen...and I'm a big So. Cal fan...Southern California is a place you can ride your bike all year long...

I started examining it closer and got the feeling it wasn't from the period...but wasn't a recent knock off either...I could see some slight wrinkling/creases and soiling in the white border....which made me feel a little better that it wasn't a $39.95 eBay pop out...

I got the feeling it was an older repop...maybe from the 70's or 80's...I did a google image search for it and couldn't find one...or on eBay...So I started seriously considering it....I knew who the dealer was but not very well...However, I have a good friend with a booth in the mall who sort of knows everybody and everything going on...who I figured would likely know the score on it...So I gave him a call...sure enough he knew the story...the dealer that was selling it bought it from a collector in the area...and that it had been in his bathroom...and it was the only thing he could buy from the guy...is what he said...

That intel...along with the slight soiling and creasing put me at ease enough to pull the trigger...I'm not crazy about the white border above and below...but I guess I'll leave it be for now...

The Potato Bug II is a whole-nother story....Someone wrote in what looks like recent ink on the back of the frame "Putter King II"...I sort of know the editor of WoodyBoater.com...which is a community just like Net54baseball.com except it's all about wooden boats and that world...all they discuss is wooden boats and all the aspects....great site...So I send photos to Matt the editor and he immediately posted a feature on my photo to see if anyone could supply any info about the boat...

I should stop right here and explain...any photos of speed boats from about pre 1930 are very rare...and the older the rarer....way more rare than baseball, football, and boxing for instance...and I'm always on the lookout for them...So there I was browsing around a cowboy antique show and blam...The dealer who I know a little and have seen around the antique shows the last 30 years, sells very good and interesting antique photos...His prices are typically not too expensive and not too cheap either...However...I think he had $95.00 on my photo...and I got it for $85.00...which in relation to how tough speedboat photos are...you get the picture...

http://www.woodyboater.com/blog/2018...know-j-morgan/
So anyway...someone on WoodyBoater.com was able to I.D. the boat as Potato Bug II...see link above...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 05-25-2018 at 02:35 PM.