View Single Post
Old 01-04-2003, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Default An experiment with PRO

Posted By: John

I’m going go out on limb here. First I like to say to Bruce thank you for vindicating why I don’t support card-grading companies. I would also like to point out that of the few dozen 19th and 20th century cards I have bought graded there really seems to be no standard with any of them (PSA/SGC). Some companies are worse than others I think you have proven that like a glove that wont fit (sorry OJ). Here are some issues I have please tell me if any one feels the same or am I alone. First outrageous prices I have no problem with paying top dollar for a really top grade card, but I don’t want to be stupid. For instance during the Harris collection auction I bid on several cards Waddell throwing was one I went to $5,000 a decent amount I thought. The card went for around $9500.00. Ok so I was out bid, someone wanted it more than me that’s the hobby right. Then why less than a year latter does the same card go in Mastro’s auction for $5576.00? I’m I to believe this guy took a bath of around $4,000.00, if so not a very sound purchase. Harris’s green Cobb also took a small hit of around $18,000.Chalk it up to the economy what ever it seems silly to me. Second problem why is it that I have PSA 4’s that look better than 6’ and 5’s? Also why is it when I send a card in personally it may comeback with a qualifier (Trim/OC)? However if I send that same card thru a large dealer who does a lot of business with that grading company it comes back in a holder unqualified and sometimes with a higher grade. Third one of my best friends works in the standards business, his company is in charge of grading all lumber in the US and Canada. His company is a non-profit company. When I asked him why non-profit he said to be an impartial grading or quality control company it is standard business ethics. You cant be influenced by outside sources, such as money, gifts etc. Now I raise the question isn’t a PSA or SGC somewhat influenced by the large amounts of money that some of the larger sports card dealers send them over the average Joe collector? And if so does that affect their grading services? After all they in a sense set the rough market price. I heard a story recently of dealer who sent in 4 cards three 1933 Ruth cards that he said were 1’s at best and his NM Cracker Jack Johnson. When they returned two Ruth’s were PSA 1’s and one Ruth was PSA 2, too his surprise his Johnson was also a PSA 2. He called and complained right away knowing one of the owners. The owner’s remarks were “send it back someone obviously didn’t know what they were doing.” So he did the card came back a PSA 7. These things I have heard and experienced make me confused about the stability of the vintage card market and where the hobby is going. I think all of us can grade our own cards, most of us have for years. It has apparently and always will be a subjective matter. Now I agree with the possibility of fakes for large investment cards some sort of authentication service is needed. With that being said. PSA/SGC and others even though their company profiles are of the mind set to set in stone a consistency never before had in this hobby, it doesn’t seem to be working in my opinion.