View Single Post
Old 03-27-2002, 02:34 AM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: vorthian

Plastic Dog:

<< All it does is encourage people to get cards slabbed that wouldn't otherwise need to be entombed. >>

Is there a published report that I must not have read that states which cards should be slabbed and which ones shouldn't?

<< I like SGC, but this is bad for the hobby. >>

I disagree. The set registry is keeping the numbers up for PSA, as they have been down from last year at this time.

Jeff Obermeyer:

<< Roy, I don't want to sound cynical, but I think the set registry is a way for SGC to chase the almighty dollar...>>

Those $(@(#! capitalists! Shame on them.

Ryan Christoff:

<< There is absolutely no benefit for the collector other than the ego boost. I've thought about it and keep coming back to ego being the sole motivating factor. >>

At the upper end of the grading spectrum, I can see how that is possible but what about those others who chase lower graded sets - is that driven by the ego as well? Here's a benefit for you - the fact that the PSA set registry has brought some people together with a common interest.

Jay Miller:

<< However,for sets in the traditional sense (eg 1959 Topps), many people do not grade all the cards, just the stars. >>

Would a 1974 Topps set be considered in the traditional sense?

Brian Hodes:

<< While did like looking at many of the cards (Hal's HOF collection is neat) >>

It will be much neater when he adds my Stan.

<< I think that the net effect of these registries is that they foster a certain competition that I could definitely do without. >>

There is no competition unless you perceive it as such. Take your time, have fun and build at your leisure.

----------

I'm all for the set registry. Noone is forcing you to submit your cards to make a "graded set", it's all up to you to decide if you want to or not. If you do, whatever the reason, and you are happy with it - great. If not, whatever the reason, and you are happy with it - great. And for those that are dead against this set registry concept and/or graded cards in general, when you sell a graded card - do you think of yourself as a hypocrite at all?