Thread: Post Office
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's_Fan View Post
I really don't understand the "cost cutting" rationale of no Saturday delivery. I mean, it will also "cut costs" if they cancel deliveries Monday through Friday as well, but delivering Mail is what the Post Office is supposed to do!

I'm sure UPS and Fedex will be more than happy to grab the post office's market share. Too bad there isn't a politician that will stand up and say, "hmm... maybe we should raise the retirement age of postal workers from 50 to 55 instead..."
Simplisticlly, the move to cut deliveries by one day (it doesn't have to be Saturday) will save them a lot of money.

Although they deliver six days a week, most employees work five days. My carrier is off Wednesdays (and, of course, Sundays.) So every Wednesday I have a fill in guy. He floats from route to route. He covers my guy on Wednesday, someone else on Monday, a different guy on Tuesday, etc.

Therefore, a minimum of 6 carriers are needed for every 5 routes (It's even worse when you try to cover vacations.)

Cutting a delivery day would therefore, eliminate the need for this job and reduce employees by 16%.