View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 10:21 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Thank you for your response Alan. I've heard the term Broder-type used for years but incorrectly assumed it was a name brand like "Jay Publishing" or "Score" or whatever. I didn't realize the term Broder had a specific meaning. Damn, I missed the bus on that one! That's why when Bob said it was a bad looking Broder it didn't register as a negative to me (shaking my head at myself). I guess in the end it doesn't really matter if something is authorized or not, all that matters is whether the card has perceived value and what a collector is willing to pay for it. If a set of these sold for over $100 like the FCB thread said then who cares if it's unauthorized, there's buyers out there for them...kinda like those Helmar hand painted replica cards that keep popping up on ebay. Seems to me those would be a great present day example of an unauthorized Broder card, but hey, people are paying money for those too, probably as a cheap secondary option to owning the real thing.

Bob, I just read your excellent description of legitimate issues and collector's issues on pg. 5 of the SCBC under the Major League Issues sub-title. That explained everything perfectly.

Feb. 20, 2013 - the day 4reals finally understood the true meaning of "Broder". I just looked up the definition...it's French and means - to enlarge beyond bounds or the truth.

Last edited by 4reals; 02-20-2013 at 10:41 PM.