View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 08:02 PM
Dan Mabey

Default 1963 Post Hank Aaron Zoom Shot

Hi, Peter!

Thank you for the comments. Having read POSTAGE DUE and the other monographs, you understand the chaos that ensued in Battle Creek when last minute errors were spotted.

Your comment about the exploded view of the Hank Aaron photo is intriguing, and it is quite interesting (to me) to realize that the same Art Shay photograph was used for all of the 1961-63 Post and 1962-63 JELL-O sets. Having said that, the photo used for production of the 1963 Post is a zoom shot that is consistent with the "portrait" photos that earmark that particular set. In contrast, you are right on target in noting that the Aaron paste-up for the 1963 JELL-O reverted to the body shot appearing on all of the other GF sets. Based on my interviews with Bill Betts and Howard Slutz regarding the Post cereal promotions, I can well imagine that there was a mad scramble in Leroy, Dover, and/or White Plains when the art departments (or Y&R) were trying to find Hank Aaron Kodachrome prints to supplant the Tommie Aaron shot.

Tomorrow, I'll post the likeness of the 1963 Post Hank Aaron "error" card showing precisely how it would have appeared on 15 ounce Oat Flakes.

Thanks again for your friendship, encouragement, and contributions to the Post and JELL-O baseball card legacy.

Keep me Posted!

Dan