Thread: Ichiro
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2016, 09:01 PM
Bill Gregory

I didn't know he couldn't leave Japan for nine years. I admit to knowing very little about the Japanese league.

I think, if anything, Ichiro's professional baseball hit total is a testament to his perseverance. And look at him now. A lot of people thought his career was almost over. Well, he's 42, and hitting .353 in 133 at bats. And, he's walked 17 times vs 8 strikeouts. He's still got fabulous hand eye coordination.

A year ago, I questioned if he'd ever get to 3,000. Now, it seems it would take an act of God, or Mothra, to keep him from getting there. And I will cheer loudly when he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I agree on Rose but what I'm saying is these posts seem to be trying to undermine his accomplishments in some way, or take away from what he's done, which I think is wrong. It wasn't Ichiro's fault he was born in Japan. He was obligated to play there for 9 seasons before he could become a free agent. He didn't play in Japan to duck the MLB, and he didn't play in Japan because he wasn't good enough for the MLB. He played there because he was obligated. So factor in that lack of freedom when discussing his career in two leagues instead of saying Ichiro faced weak competition, his hits aren't worth as much.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.