Thread: 1/2 GRADES
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Default 1/2 GRADES

Posted By: Joann

Corey - you're absolutely right about not having to discount for the bump review. I hadn't thought about that. I was looking at it from just the mechanical perspective. Still, I'd like to ask someone from PSA that question (why no discount). Right now it looks like the answer would have to be one of wanting to pocket the money, or that the grading time is so minimal they can't discount it.

Steve - I was talking about base level submissions. I've often wondered though about whether the more expensive service levels actually result in a more thorough review. Probably. But I know that bumping into a schedule is expensive in any operation, so that has to be part of it.

And I must be missing something completely with this 10-12-15-20% bump issue. Why wouldn't it almost automatically be 50%. Shouldn't all cards graded 6 divide themselves roughly half and half between the top part of the range (6.5 - 7) and the bottom half (6 - 6.5)? It seems like they would almost have to.

In fact, if the number of bumps isn't about 50% I would almost conclude that something went wrong with the process. I can't see any way that cards, after 100 years of use and travel, wouldn't be distributed somewhat evenly within a range. The outcome of the bumps just about has to reflect that reality, doesn't it? It wouldn't be natural to have all 6's somehow magically be at 80% in the lower half of the range and 20% upper half.

I think I need this one 'splained to me. If I resubmitted all of my cards - even at a favorable bulk fee - and got back 15% bumps I'd hit the roof.

It's gotta be something easy I'm missing, right?

Joann