Thread: 1/2 GRADES
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Default 1/2 GRADES

Posted By: SC

<<One other thing to keep in mind though, is that the percentage of cards that do receive the half-grade bumps will be skewed somewhat by the fact that people will tend to submit stronger cards within each grade (i.e. that have a higher likelihood of being re-graded).>>

How many cards out there are truly worth getting graded regardless of condition? From post-war cards - some of the earliest Mantles and a few key rookies. Prewar? A little bit more, but a lot of it ends at Cobbs, Gehrigs, and Ruths.

I really don't see why this is so disconcerting. It's not like BGS using a formula for their subgrades. A card has to meet certain criteria to get a specific grade. I've always thought - how can an absolutely blazing vending card that is 70/30, get the same grade as a card that's 70/30 with touched corners, etc.? They are both 7s, but one would universally be acknowledged as nicer.

What about on lower grade cards? A card won't get above a 3 with a moderate crease, but that perfectly centered card with great color and appearance has to rate higher than the 90/10 example with dull color and nearly rounded corners.

If Jim, for instance, sent in his entire sets, or someone else submitted a brand new batch of clean cards - we might have some idea what to expect on % upgrades. But if people are going to cherry pick their best 8s...the number will simply be a product of the quality of the person's skill in evaluating grading, and a standard variance.