View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Default Is Beckett (BGS) starting to gain respect in the pre-war community?

Posted By: Erick Lewin

I have a few prewar graded cards by them, that had already been graded when I bought them. the ones I have, the grades seem right on. I do hate that plastic insert with scans though.

I have a few shiny cards graded by beckett too, and grades seem very accurate. Also holders are very strong. I do have to agree with there being a conflict of interest when they sell their cards though.

Also another conflict of interest is in there current price guides; they list prices of high dollar RC's and other star cards that have been graded. Their graded cards I see always are listed with the highest prices in their guides. I don't believe I ever saw a PSA, SGC or any other grading service having a card with the same grade listed at a higher price. Maybe sometimes BGS cards do sell for more (with newer cards), than other services. However, I never see them list another grading service example higher. It just doesn't seem right them valuing their own stuff higher every time. It makes you wonder cause and effect. Do BGS cards sometimes sell higher simply because they're listed higher? (Chicken or the egg?) Granted I havn't bought a new issue of Beckett in a while and I'm not even sure if they still list graded card prices, but they used to at least.

Pros: Very Strong holder
Pretty accurate grading, especially with new stuff

Cons: Conflicts of interest with selling and pricing of their own stuff
Plastic baggy that interferes with scans
Percieved lack of expertise with rarer prewar issues.......

E. Lewin