View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 08:03 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
I think this fits with a lot of what was going on at Topps at the time. I think the 1991 Topps sets will be viewed as one of the seminal sets of the modern era. I believe the 1991 set marks a year when Topps was experimenting with a number of items regarding new production methods....experimenting with both cello and wax distribution methods (packs can be found in both wax and cello)......dispensing of the bubble gum...printing fronts on the new clay coated shiny paper fronts (over chipboard stock)....using UV brighteners in the red ink (see previous 1991 Desert Shield discussions) and experimented with distribution of the set in both cello and wax packs

As we have noted before the 1991 Topps set can be found with the most errors and variations when compared to most other modern sets. Curiously the 1991 Desert Shield set has no known variations....only print and ink variations.

Z
I am sure the UV brightener was not added to the red ink on the card backs but applied in a separate layer before the red ink. The brightener was a transparent yellow in color. I had a Nolan Ryan with just the UV brightener layer applied to the back. I started a thread about the card here on Net54.