Thread: RIP Jim Bouton
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Peter F

Jim Bouton was one of my favorites.

I knew he was suffering the last few years and wasn't going to get better. Dementia type of disease. Damn. I found Ball Four when I was about 17 and read it every summer for years. My college roomate and I referred to each other as 'Rooms' like Jim called Gary Bell.

One time during high school, I got his number and I called him up and left a message that I want to hire him for a card show. He called me back and I felt so badly, I told him I lied and I am just a fan. He said it was not very nice of me but at least I picked a good player to root for.

Here's a few Jim Bouton items I'm happy to own. Years ago, pre-internet I got his address and I mailed him my first edition of Ball Four and asked him to sign it with the same message that his pitching coach Johnny Sain told him when Jim was hesitant to approach the GM for a raise. He complied.

And I don't know how Topps got him to sign this Heritage card or how many there are but I'm glad I saw this card even existed last year when I got it.

I also have tickets to Jim's TV sit com named after his famous book. I vaugely remember this show existed. Only 5 episodes aired.

You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out it was the other way around all the time. -Jim Bouton

RIP Jim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jim 001.jpg (63.6 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg jim 002.jpg (70.5 KB, 234 views)

Last edited by WillowGrove; 07-11-2019 at 07:23 PM.