View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 07:59 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanu View Post
When I first started collecting I had heard a lot more about these cards before I knew a whole lot about the players behind them, even though they are all HOFer's

t206 Wagner
Goudey Lajoie

Bowman Mikan

National Chicle Nagurski
The Wagner and Lajoie are extremes cases in this instance. And while I didn't originally have these two in mind when starting this thread, I did imagine Wagner would potentially come up. Didn't really think much about Lajoie, but that card is perfect as well, but nowhere near the Wagner extreme. Looking back to the 80's and early 90's, we all remember seeing those generic "baseball card starter kits". They usually came with a handful of garbage cards and a few reprints, with the two most memorable being the Wagner and Lajoie. On the backs of these, they both talked about the history of the card, and what it's worth as opposed to talking about the player. I think that things like this helped lead to people caring more about what a card's worth, then they do the player that is on it..

Actually, your mention of Nagurski, got me thinking that the 1955 Topps All-American Four Horsemen card might fit into this category... Sure the nickname is probably more known than the individual players, but I think the card may be even more known that the nickname..