View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 08:24 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post
I find this thread very interesting.

You're saying the market is flattening definitely, yet list individual cards to prove your point.

If the stock market is down, does that mean each individual stock is down?
Conversely, if the stock market is up, is each individual stock up?

The answer to both questions is no.

Saying the card market is down, then using a few individual cards that are down, isn't an accurate assessment of the entire market. I'm not sure there's an accurate way to assess the entire market yet, at least across multiple landscapes. If you break it down into value categories ($50k-100k cards, $100k-200k, etc.), you can get somewhat of a more accurate assessment. But even then, it doesn't factor in what others have previously mentioned: if a significant bidder wins the card, they and their money are taken out of the market.
Only my opinion. No, I have not done a study of every card out there. The Dow Jones average is a sample of 30 (?) stocks that is used as a proxy of the stock market as a whole. People say the market is going down and obviously many stocks aren't. Like I said, if I looked at the top 20 cards just sold at Heritage (not unique one of a kind items like the great Cobb autographed card), I'd wager most of them, a large percentage, are down off their VCP recent average. The top 5 cards all are. Sure some aren't but I suspect most are. They are not crashing to the ground but I believe most have fallen. But it's a huge market and like you said operates on a lot of different levels.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 05-16-2017 at 08:25 AM.