View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Default Heritage Hypocrisy

I find it so amazing that a company that just had two balls taken out of auction for the reason that the markings on the balls where not from that era. are now makeing a statment that you can read below. Before you read what they said here are few more balls . Heritage’s Fake “Final Out Ball” From The 1917 World Series Wasn’t Made ‘Til 1926; Heritage Withdraws Ball From Auction
Sean Flynn from Wilson told Deadspin that the company’s baseball manufacturing engineer confirmed that the ball allegedly signed by Cobb in 1959 was actually “made in the 1970s.” There are more of these but I guess they have very short memories.

It was only in the past ten years or so that an exhaustive study of the minor variations in stamping styles on Official American and National League baseballs determined that the A.L. balls used in 1927 were a one-year style. In other words, American League baseballs made in 1926 and before, and 1928 and after, are physically different in their stamping styles from the 1927 model. The Combs team ball is the correct 1927 one-year style. So the suggestion that a supposed forger would have known this fact prior to the ball’s first public appearance in 1999, then could have tracked down a pristine example of that exceedingly rare style to use for his forgery, and lastly had the skill to perfectly execute these autographs to pass the finest authenticators in the industry is truly preposterous.

I agree with what Scott said on the other thread. I find it difficult to understand because the ball is real so are the autographs but when the ball was not real the autographs where still authentic in the eyes of the "finest authenticators in the industry." You can't have it both ways. That is what is preposterous.

You are the third largest auction house in the world. You are going to make a ton of money on the sale of the ball. I sure as hell would trust the FBI lab over your "finest authenticators in the industry" Which I would dispute. Spend the money find out who is correct. It is a win win for you.

Last edited by shelly; 02-21-2013 at 01:29 PM.