View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 08:58 PM
J0n Fu.ld

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Big JJ, the problem is that the items we are talking about are not five and ten dollars but twenty to five hundred thousand. I would think you would try just a little harder for that kind of money. They have never said a thank you to the people that saved there butts. I would also say for that kind of money I sure as hell would go outside the box.
Agree. Should have done more review/research, or, should have done better review/research. May have double checked everything and erroneously confirmed the authentications/other evidence.

All the houses ought to have intelligent and knowledgeable people double checking the evidence and authentications. Particularly the ultra high value items.

The real problem is there are few of these individuals at the houses who are intelligent and knowledgeable. I am cracking up just thinking about it. Even some of the guys at the houses who have acquired knowledge over the years, I think we all know, are idiots.

Lack of such skilled staff is, in part, why there is so much reliance on authentication letters.

There are many 'good guys' who go "wow" and talk about the game, and/or some prices, and are consignment directors, and get the pieces in, but very few highly knowledgeable research workers at the houses.

They have to hire brilliant people. I agree with Keithsky, there are a multitude on here who are much more capable. In general, more such people, in my opinion, on the collecting and hobby side, than the servicing side.

Last edited by BigJJ; 02-21-2013 at 09:10 PM.