Thread: 1975 Hostess
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 03:10 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Hostess clearly intended the cards to be produced in equal numbers - presumably this carried over into producing the panels in equal numbers as well. However, I feel the original intent was more difficult to create in reality. It appears that there were more than 1 printer - and each product had different print configurations because of the product differences ie ingredients, photographs and even layout of the cards.

I suspect the rarity of certain sheets had more to do with the popularity of the products and how the printer printed panels in "batches". If you look on eBay you will find a seller selling 100+ unused Hostess boxes of the same players. I suspect this occurred because the printers and/or ITTC did not print the panels 1-150, but rather the panels were printed in batches of a single panel at a time and then used accordingly.

Good question that remains unanswered.....

Z
I picked up most of mine new, either from the grocery or from the outlet store which was much cheaper.

I didn't keep track, but my recollection is that there were different panels on the shelf at the same time, even for the same product. But probably a limited group as I don't recall any long searches through the stack on the shelf.

So they probably did batches of a particular group.

Some being tougher than others is almost certainly from the product popularity differences.

Steve B