View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default rdwyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post
Now that most of us have posted pictures of their packs, I would like to see how many have the right stuff. Do you have a pack that has the right info?

For example: My Old Mill box has Factory 25 2nd District Virginia with overprinting of June 12, 1911 for the date. According to Robert Forbes book of American Tobacco cards T16, T42, and T80 had Old Mill backs. But they were either made in a different year, or had different factories. So without a doubt, this pack had a T206 card in it when distributed.

By the Summer of 1911, American Lithographic (ALC) was printing their Gold-Bordered cards (T42-Birds, T80-Military Series, and T205-BB, etc.) The last production runs
of T206 cards were in the Spring of 1911. We have ALC documentation to this effect. In March 1911, ALC was intermixing their dwindling stock of T206 cards with T80
cards in UZIT packs.
Therefore, I would guess that your OLD MILL pack contained T42 cards or T80 cards. These two non-sports series were inserted in OLD MILL packs at the Richmond, VA
plant (Factory #25). Incidently, the T80's with an OLD MILL back are very tough to find.
And, your pack certainly did not contain T205's, as T205's were not printed with OLD MILL backs

[linked image]

[linked image]

TED Z