View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Default Amazing find of unopened boxes (Star Player Candy, Tattoo orbits, many more)

Posted By: David Smith

Here is the problem I have with Dockmans being the maker of Star Player Candy cards.

If the Dockman Company was located in Baltimore and the Star Player Candy cards are so rare then how did the cards I bought in the 1990's originate from the Mid West? I mean, if an East Coast candy maker was having their cards distributed as far away as the Mid West then shouldn't there be MORE Star Player Candy cards available?

In Issue 11 of the Old Cardboard Magazine, there is a story about Star Player Candy cards. Since I am the one who first brought to light the Buddy Myer card, I was asked by Mr. Hardeman if I could supply a photo of the card so it could be used in the story. While talking to him it came out that one person owns a majority of the cards pictured in the article.

So, if that person owns over 50 of the cards, I own 16 and a fellow board member just sold 47 cards in a recent Heritage Auction then that would be less than 200 cards known. Add in cards that people have as a type card and you still don't have a lot of total known cards.

Also, the article in Old Cardboard mentions the fact that there are NOT a lot of New York players represented in the set. Of the known subjects, 2/3's are of players from the American League. No NY Giants players are pictured while the Braves, Dodgers, Phillies and Pirates have only one player pictured. The Yankees, as would be expected, have nine players pictured. Meanwhile, there are 10 known subjects from the Chicago Cubs.

Again, if this were a widely distributed set which was manufactured in Baltimore then WHY are there not more cards out there and why weren't there many New York players represented in the set?

Even with this Dockman box being found, I still tend to think the Star Player Candy cards were a regional set made and sold in the Mid West. But that is just my opinion, so feel free to discuss/argue my point.

David