View Single Post
Old 02-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
I also agree that the call at the end of the half wasn't bad. IMO it was really gutsy and definitely risky, but I've always seen R Wilson as a guy who has incredible situational awareness.
Agreed. Akin to the fake field goal touchdown pass against Green Bay. I was against that one as well, but these things seem to work out for Seattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
What still gets me most about the play, is why didn't they try to sell a run fake???????? Everyone on the field, in the stands, at home, expects a run. If you want to slip in a pass (perfectly reasonable on one of the next two downs), do it after using a hard play action fake... and if that's your thinking, you just leave in the prior play's big personnel, to even better sell the run fake. If it's not there, Wilson throws it out of the end zone, and you get exactly what Carroll alluded to post game.. a clock stoppage and time to regroup for 3rd down. Or better yet, you let Wilson boot away or roll toward the play fake and isolate a Pat DB in that always perfect situation--- force him to either come up on Wilson who's running, or stay on his guy in the end zone. Wilson is the perfect QB in that situation and has proven it many times. If they are set on passing, I have no idea why you neutralize Wilson's greatest strengths?

Or of course, just pound it between the tackles with Lynch.
You are right. All I remember thinking when Wilson started in the shotgun was being totally confused and figuring it would be a deep handoff or roll-out, neither of which made sense to me. It was a WTF moment for sure. But I don't feel as bad about the call after stewing for over a day. We have seen fumbles in those sorts of situations as well - were the odds any better of that particular pass being intercepted, than Lynch or Wilson getting stripped of the ball? I don't know. The interception was a horror for Seattle fans, but a fumble would have been just as gut-wrenching.

As an older fan of a team that has been in a lot of big games in my lifetime (Cowboys), I can tell the younger fans that you will go through this many more times in your life. It comes with the games on the opposite end of the spectrum (remember just two weeks ago?). I felt much worse when Lynn Swann made that catch in the Super Bowl against Dallas, or when Jackie Smith dropped the pass from Staubach, or 'the catch' by the blasted 49'ers. I just wish Bart Starr had passed in the 1967 NFC Championship game