View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 08:36 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballdude View Post
I'm chiefly a football collector, but there are some baseball items I've latched onto. One of those items are these Guy's Potato Chip team pins. Started finding them pretty regularly when i moved to Missouri and found out that Guy's was based here (in Missouri) at the time, which explains why I find them so often at local antique stores and flea markets. I don't really know much about them, except that there seems to be several different variations of sets. So far I've sorted mine out into 5 different sets, some dated '65 & '66, some undated. Any information on these would be appreciated.
Ted Hake did a pretty good job discussing these in the book below, although I disagree with some of the color combos he reported. The Guy's pins were only done 1964-66, while Crane's Potato Chips did theirs from 1961-65, 1967-69, 1984 and 1986. Sellers seem to have a wide range of what they think these are worth...I see them on ebay from 99 cents to 50 bucks. Some people even have them graded, which I think is totatally ridiculous. If I was selling any, I'd be happy to get 10 bucks apiece.

In the display frame picture, the top two rows are Crane's in chronological order. The first three on the left side of the bottom row are the Guy's. The bottom right is a similar, generic pin from an unknown manufacturer. One more thing...the Guy's all have the logo on back. 1965 and '66 are dated; 1964 is not. Crane's are all identified (one way or another) on back, but only the 1961, 1963-65, 1984 and '86 are dated. Both series offered prizes for completed sets (last picture).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1KQVrncj6L.jpg (78.4 KB, 515 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0044.jpg (77.2 KB, 510 views)
File Type: jpg guyscranes.jpg (37.0 KB, 512 views)