View Single Post
Old 03-11-2020, 12:47 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pologrounds View Post
Waiting for Mr. Steinberg's assessment
Well unfortunately I have to agree that it's a significant leap of faith to definitively call this one a NY Giants Pennant. The Giants primary colors were red and blue throughout the teens. Please see the link below...

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.o...ar&increment=9

While the pennant in question is very attractive, is unquestionably vintage, and has what we now consider to be traditional Giants' colors... it's unlikely that it's a Giants Pennant from the teens. Pennants like this were made as city souvenirs, and were also displayed at parades, conventions, and various local celebrations.

It's always a gamble with these generic types that list the City only (with no team name, mascot or logo present). I routinely shy away from these, although there are a few that are completely legit. Examples of Boston Red Sox and Braves embroidered pennants come to mind, as well as the Cincinnati Reds.

So with regard to the pennant in question, I'd give it a very small of being a Giants Pennant. While it is remotely possible, the colors are incorrect for the era. Furthermore, there are plenty of other Giants Team pennants from the teens that do include the team name or an identifiable mascot/logo.

Hope this is helpful,
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg early giants1.jpg (67.2 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg early giants2.jpg (77.1 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg early giants4.jpg (72.1 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg early giants7.jpg (66.4 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg early giants3.jpg (69.9 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg early giants6.jpg (76.2 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg early giants8.jpg (77.4 KB, 387 views)